Why Get a Pet License? Denver Residents
If you live in the City and County of Denver, an annual license is required for each dog and cat you have that is over the age of 6 months. This small fee offers great peace of mind if your pet is ever lost. The license number is linked to your pet’s rabies tag, which can reconnect you with your pet if it is brought into a shelter.
Licenses are also required for the dogs of pet owners who live outside of the City and County of Denver but use any dog off-leash park in Denver. Also, dogs or cats kept in the City and County of Denver more than 30 days in a year are required to be licensed, regardless of the owner’s place of residence.
Pit Bull Notice
Pit bull breeds (or any dogs showing the majority of physical traits of pit bull breeds) are illegal in Denver County and cannot be licensed.
License Options and Fees
Each dog or cat license costs:
1 Year: $10.00
3 Years: $30.00
How to Get a Pet License
Ordering your license online is easy! Use your Visa or MasterCard credit card and DenverGov’s online order form to:
* Renew an existing license
* Purchase a new license
Order by Mail
Don’t want to order online? That’s OK. Just mail (or bring in) your current rabies certificate and a check for the cost of the license to the Denver Division of Animal Care and Control; 678 S. Jason Street; Denver, CO 80223.
Order Form Checklist
To order a new license online with DenverGov.com, or to renew an existing license, you will need the following information:
- Pet information (name, breed, color, age, etc.)
- Veterinarian Hospital or Clinic
- Current Rabies tag number & date issued. Your license will not be processed without your pets vaccination information
- ALTERED PETS: Name of veterinarian who altered your pet and date of spay/neuter
- RENEWALS: Previous License tag number and Person ID number
- Visa or MasterCard credit card number and expiration date
- Add any information or changes to your record or pet record in the comment box at check out.
Any license issued for an animal is not valid where any applicant has offered, used, transmitted, or caused to be transmitted, any information or data that is false, fraudulent or incorrect in any manner or way, or which misrepresents the breed, rabies tag number, rabies vaccination date, rabies vaccination expiration date, or the spay/neuter status for such animal, or which does not belong to such animal.
How to Order Online
1. Choose a new license or renewal option
2. Fill out information about you and your pet
3. Enter payment information
4. Print a copy of your receipt for your records
5. Your Official pet license will arrive in 2-3 weeks
6. If you have received a court summons from Animal Control for your pet, you cannot use your receipt as proof of license. You will need your Official pet license for court.